Mie Hørlyck Mogensen STACK AND ROLL
May 1st through July 4th
Mie Hørlyck Mogensen
STACK AND ROLL
works inspired by coins and the balance between saving and spending
curated by Amy Cancelmo of Root Division Exhibition runs through July 4th. Call to schedule a tour: (415) 362-8636
Mie Hørlyck Mogensen is a Danish born artist with a history of public art installations that compel viewers to reconsider their surroundings. Her sculptural and video based works deal primarily with tools–both real and imagined, functional and nonsensical.
For the exhibition at the Spare Change Artist Space Mie has created a new body of work that explores the balance and tension between spending and saving—controlling and letting go. Pastel colored sculptural stacks of oversized round, flat plaster casts inspired by the stacking of coins, will be shown alongside video and audio actual coin stacking. Based on a Danish anecdote “coins are flat so you can stack them (save them) and round so you can roll them (spend them)”, Hørlyck Mogensen uses weights and balances to explore the relationship between saving and spending, having and not-having, value and worthlessness.
Driven by the function of form, each object projects a physical, oversized, brightly colored manifestation of conflicting economic messages. In a city currently battling a major class conflict this tension between saving and spending, giving and taking, having and not-having seems particularly poignant.
STACK AND ROLL is a multi-media exhibition featuring drawings, paintings, sculptures and video works.
We had fun organizing and participating in the following events associated with “Stack and Roll’:
- Artist Wine and Cheese Reception Thursday, April 17th at 6:00pm at Rhodes & Fletcher, LLC 465 California Street, Suite 838
- Panel Discussion “ART: A guide to collecting” Wednesday, May 7th at 6:00pm (in the training center at Chubb Group of Insurance Companies) 275 Battery Street, 12th Floor
- Foster Goldstrom, Art Collector, Dealer, and Consultant
- Michael B. Nelson, Tax and Estate Planning Attorney, San Ramon, CA
- Susan Ott, Art Insurance specialist with the private client group of Marsh Insurance
- Moderated by Sean Fletcher, partner with Rhodes & Fletcher, LLC in San Francisco
The panelists participating in this in-depth discussion will tackle the practical aspects of building and maintaining an art collection. We will address protecting and preserving works of art, refining a collection by focusing on a specific genre, medium, or group of artist, loaning art for traveling exhibitions and museum retrospectives, and addressing the tax and legal aspects involved with transferring ownership of an artwork from one person or entity to another.
Whether you are just starting your collection or have been collecting for years, don’t miss this lively and memorable discussion!
- Artist Talk Thursday, June 12th at 6:00pm at Rhodes & Fletcher, LLC 465 California Street, Suite 838
Categories: Past Exhibitions